1. The group must comprise of no more than 30 participants including leaders, musicians, drivers and escorts. The 30 people must include anyone associated with the group attending the festival.
2. Dancers must be over 17 years of age.
3. The group must perform only traditional dances of the country represented.
4. It will perform on stage and street activities with various costumes and programs (at least 3 different programs).
5. The group must be accompanied with live orchestra with traditional musical instruments. Live music is required.
6. The group has to take part in the great parade of friendship of people on the first Sunday at 18.00pm.
a. The group has to give 2 five minute short representative dance performances in the opening and closing night (solos and songs are not allowed for the opening and closing) .
b. Each groups must provide 2 couples who rehearse during the week for the closing ceremony
c. The orchestras of each group participate in the execution of the festival ‘s song and rehearse during the week under the guidance of the festival music director.
d. The group has to appear 3 times of 20 – 30 min different programs (on different days) during the one week duration of the festival in the city of Lefkas at the Open Theater, and 3 appearances in other places of the island in shows of 30-50 minutes. Groups need to prepare different program for every show.
8. The group has to exchange one gift with the Mayor in the closing ceremony
9. Arrival – Departure
The groups coming by bus must be in Lefkas on Saturday before the festival.
The groups coming by air either on Friday or Saturday before the festival.
The group will stay in Lefkas from the day of its arrival until Monday after breakfast.
If the group is coming by air the Festival arranges and covers transportation by bus to Lefkada with return to the airport (Athens or Thessaloniki International Airports).
The group will stay in specially arranged school buildings. There are 8-10 beds in each room (males and females in separate rooms). Sheets and pillows are provided. Towels are not provided.
The festival offers breakfast in the school canteen and dinner every day in local restaurants with international and traditional cuisine. For lunch a small snack is given.
The language of the Festival is English and Greek. Each group will be provided with an interpreter and 2 guides.
14. Health Coverage
The Festival offers first aid and normal medical care. Consequently it is strongly suggested that health insurance coverage be arranged for all group members before travelling to the Festival.
1.The Festival reserves the right to broadcast the festival performances partly or entirely without any payments to the group
2.The Festival may change the contents and programs, and the groups will be informed on time!
For any questions please contact the festival office at 1 Sikelianou str Lefkada 31100, tel +30 26450 26635, firstname.lastname@example.org , fax +30 26450 26715 Mrs Ioanna Filippa.
Welcoming reception at the Hall of the Cultural Center.
All group leaders with one couple dressed in traditional costume
Groups are expected to perform one magnificent dance (solos and songs are not allowed).
Monday – Saturday
During the day the groups are free.
Breakfast is served in local cafés from 8.00 until 11.00.
A snack is distributed at around 14.00.
Dinner is served from 18.30-20.00 every day in local restaurants.
After dinner groups perform at the Open Theater or other places of the island .
Within the week of the festival groups have one day-off with no performance at all.
All groups gather at the Open Theater at around 20.30 for the Closing ceremony.
During the day the members of the participating groups are free because the performances are scheduled for late in the afternoon. The island offers numerous free time activities. The cost is very small (it is not covered by the Festival).
Activities for group members:
– Wander around the town
– Sightseeing (museums, art gallery)
– Cycling (rent a bike)
– Explore mountainous Lefkada by bus (catch local buses)
– Night life
Before an invitation is issued, the Festival Committee must review as much of the following information about your group as you are able to provide:
-a listing of festivals in which your group has participated – – photographs,
– DVDs or videos,
– newspaper or magazine articles about your group,
– letters of reference and any other information about your group that you have.
– If your group has a website or YouTube channel, please provide the site address so that we may review that also.
After your material is received, the Festival Committee will review them and make a decision as to whether your group will be issued an invitation to participate in Lefkas International Folklore Festival.
For information and any questions you may have please contact:
Cultural Centre of the Municipality of Lefkada
1st Aggelou Sikelianou & Nikou Svoronou str, 31100 Lefkada
Tel.: 26450 26635, 26450 26711, Fax: 26450 26715
Facebook: Lefkas International Folklore Festival